Monday, December 8, 2008

Writing, writing and yes more writing

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/533831/how_adults_can_afford_to_return_to.html?cat=3
English 111, what can I say about it? If the first day was any indication of what to expect from the next sixteen weeks, I should have jumped ship immediately. Let me just say I sat beside and started talking to a gentleman that I thought was just a regular student, yes he turned out to be the professor. But guess what, not the professor I signed up for. Everyone in the class had this professor’s name on their schedule except for me! Yes I spent the next 30-45 minutes running back and forth trying to find out what happened and where my class went. I was in the correct room but someone forgot to tell me they changed my professor. Anyway from there it was a wild ride. It was a funny class with so many different age groups and therefore, views on life and which lead to many debates, lots of information, and plenty of writing. My hand hurts just writing this.

I realized some things about my writing habits during this course also; things that I had to except and made writing a little easier for me. I learned I can’t write if I don’t feel like it. One paper we had to write, I couldn’t put one single word on paper no matter how hard I tried. I finally had to go to bed and stop thinking about this paper. Low and behold at 4:30 in the morning I woke up with all these thoughts on my topic and by 7 am I had more than enough information, it just had to be organized into a master piece of writing.

Another little quirk of mine is that for long essays I have to write in my bedroom, lying across my bed with all four light sources on and in total silence. I can’t have music or the television playing in the back ground. If there are any distractions my mind can’t focus and it takes longer to get the assignment completed. I’ve also learned to revise, revise, and revise again, even if you think it’s perfect and the best writing you have ever created. There is always something that can be corrected or rewritten. I submitted one paper and my mind told me to reread it one more time and I didn’t and guess what I spelled population incorrectly and no even spell check didn’t catch it, but I know my professor did.

Finally I learned I like to ask questions when I write. Things that make you think, and wonder where you stand on that particular subject. By learning these about myself this semester I feel they helped me get through this course.

There were quite a few reading material and examples to read and examine and I can say one man’s treasure is another man’s unfinished or useless trash. It’s up to your personal style and preference because some writing won’t move you but it will move someone else. Everyone is so different and everyone has a different opinion on reading material but you have to be careful not to offend your classmates. I enjoyed the time in this class and I know the key is to start all work early. It’s hard to write papers when they’re due one right on top of the other. I didn’t feel I was effectively learning the type of paper we were trying to write because it just seemed they were all due at the end of the semester. I know I’ll take everything I’ve learned in this class and build on it in papers to come.

1 comment:

Paul G. said...

This is really wonderful in so many ways.

First, it is well-written, with the details and flow.

Secondly, and most importantly, and what I wish all students could figure out early in their academic careers is this: You seem to have figured out how you study. That is, you've realized what you need to do for yourself in order to be a successful thinker and writer. You know what's best for you and this knowledge will likely greatly benefit you for the remainder of your life. Everyone has different needs and you've figured out yours.